Friday, July 28, 2006
i've been tagged
here goes nothing.
Five items in my freezer
3. a loaf of bread
5. pork tenderloin
Five items in the closet
1. bridesmaid dress that needs to be altered
2. shoes, shoes and more shoes
3. my writing clips (bring on the piles of newspaper)
4. a bag full of greeting cards i've been given
Five items in the car
1. my i-pod plug-in adapter
2. a really cute black umbrella with brightly colored polka dots on it
3. a huge, golf umbrella big enough for an entire family to fit beneath (i need to be prepared)
4. a bunch of fliers on local road races that i won't be able to run (sigh)
5. some dog hair.
Five items in my backpack. (um, does laptop bag count?)
1. my laptop
2. the latest issue of Runner's World.
3. my makeup bag
4. some pens
5. my franklin covey calendar.
Five people I tag.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
on Malcom X, kissing and being 12.
The first time I watched Chaplin, I was in seventh grade and I made out with the same boyfriend during its entire four hour playing time. I never saw Chaplin a second time.
We used to choose the longest movies because our parents would drop us off when the movie started, and pick us up as soon as it was over. We figured four-hour flicks gave us the most “together” time. This really meant alone time. Time for making out. Only, I had a strict fear of tongues. And I made it clear, from day one, that I would not French kiss him. In fact, one day after school was out but before volley ball practice, we had planned to meet in the stairwell and have our first kiss. Actually, our friends set it up, we were just supposed to show up and lock lips. I waited in that stairwell for what seemed like hours. I was nervous and sweaty and thankful that I had just gotten contacts so I didn’t have to worry about my glasses bumping his. He showed up right on schedule and he didn’t even say hello. We didn’t say anything at first. Just looked at each other. And if he was feeling at all similar to what I was feeling, he wanted to run away and hide. I was sure I would puke any second. But I had to tell him. I didn’t want to be a tease. And so, I said, and I quote, “Just so you know, I am not going to French kiss you.” And that was that. He stood on his toes (because I think I was taller than him) and gave me the shortest peck I have ever received.
So those four-hour makeout sessions were really just a mess of lips and lips. No tongue. No spit. It was pretty hard to keep a continuous flow of kissing going because of my strict rule. But somehow, we managed. We must have looked like idiots.
Monday, July 24, 2006
oh, kansas city, you're so stupid.
Friday, July 21, 2006
i'm a sucker for tears
i am so going to buy his new CD. laugh if you must, but critics are actually saying he's a talented musician. we'll see about that. i'm more interested in the deeply personal account of his heartbreak. each song is real and about his marriage and his breakup. he cried at the end of the show because he's not interested in money or cars or big houses - life, he said, is all about holding that little baby in your arms. that's it. that's all it's about. he cried, and he convinced me to buy his CD. watch the show and you will want to buy his CD, too.
Thursday, July 20, 2006
a friend who bleeds is better,
my friend confessed she passed the test,
and we will never sever.
day's dawning, skins crawling.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
in need of an ice bath
this weekend, it's supposed to be in the 80s. bring on saturday.
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Monday, July 17, 2006
about which i learn to just give up
instead, my skin is on fire.
Friday, July 14, 2006
what i learned this week
2. when the doctor tells you that you'll be sporting the aircast boot for 4 weeks, what she really means is 6 weeks. don't get your hopes up and bring your left shoe to the appointment. it will just end up being a sad addition to the back seat of the car.
3. don't order the chicken ceaser salad at pappa kenos. and especially don't order the house garlic salad dressing if there is any chance you will be talking to anyone in the next several days.
4. do wear pants that fit over the boot. it's almost like you're not wearing it at all.
5. don't eat an entire tub of best choice extra creamy whipped topping in one week. it's just not a good idea.
6. do eat an entire jar of smucker's natural peanutbutter in one week. a girl needs her protein.
7. and finally, when doing a "drive by" of sister's new home, don't tell her you hate the outside paint color. instead, comment on the large yard, the huge american flag in the driveway or the cute location.
Thursday, July 13, 2006
where i stand
anyway, i'm thrilled, and i'm thinking i can at least run the 5K instead of the full marathon, and if i'm really doing fine, perhaps the half?
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
it better be good
The best classical cd in the world…..ever.
The announcer kept saying it over and over and over. “You can purchase the best classical cd in the world – ever.”
And then he'd say things similar to:
"Be soothed with the sounds of the best classical cd in the world - ever."
"Enjoy hightened self-awareness with the best classical cd in the world - ever."
It's quite possibly the worst tagline I've heard - ever. It was like a Saturday Night Live skit, only it wasn’t a joke. But that doesn't mean I wasn't laughing.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
are you kidding me?
May 28th, two stress fractures to my left foot. prognosis: good, but no running or exercise until it heals. oh, and one awesome aircast boot.
Second week of June, a 70-hour work week, which was fun, but entirely exhausting.
Third week of June, 3 migraines. Bad ones.
First week of July, the flu. It hangs around into the second week of July.
July 10, after feeling badly for neglecting Gus due to my need to sleep all day because of the flu, I sat down to play with him. He scratched my eye. Later, my eye was red and filled with puss. called the eye doctor who agreed to meet me at the office at 10 p.m. to take a look. sure enough - eye is infected and was swollen because of a scratch on its surface. i'm sent out the door with an Rx for $60 eye drops, an order not to wear my contact until it is better and to scheduel a follow-up appointment in two days.
this thursday, i return to the podiatrist to see if i can take the aircast off. wonder what she'll say....
Sunday, July 09, 2006
i am ready to feel better now.