Saturday, January 28, 2012
without saying a word.
you just try to stand still between postures, facing forward, in the mirrored room with sweat dripping in your eye.
you try to breathe through your nose and focus on your gaze.
but the one guy in the back will simultaneously be losing gallons of water off of his body at once. like a waterfall, it will surge.
so your eyes will avert from your gaze and to the spectacle. and so will hers. and his.
and then, as you're getting ready to gaze back at your third eye or whatever it is you're supposed to stare at,
your eyes will all sort of meet in the in between.
and without saying a word, or moving a muscle, you will all know.
the buckets of sweat guy is grossing everyone out.
Friday, January 27, 2012
he'd sit us at a table, leave for a few minutes and reappear with a plate full of lavash crackers and a water for us to share.
i need to ask him, but i think the lavash was free. and nobody charges for water.
next week, i'm going to see a film with a friend and she suggested we have a glass of wine at roselle court first.
that was the first time i realized roselle court was a real place that made actual food. and served actual drinks. not just some magic cracker factory.
i know, i know.
Sunday, January 22, 2012
so i start deconstructing rooms in my head.
"maybe if we just got rid of the dining room table. or what if we enclosed the screened-in. and do we really need a couch in the living room?"
but really, there's no room. not here. not even for an upright.
and even if there was, i don't know what i would do sitting on that bench hovering above the keys. for the first time in almost 15 years.
once-memorized symphonies would probably just torment me.
until i'd settle for something like "heart and soul" before retreating to the couch in defeat.
Friday, January 13, 2012
2. i hate hot yoga
3. i keep going
4. i think it's helping me in lots of ways
5. i dread it the entire drive there
6. i've never sweat more in my life
7. i bought a mat from lululemon even though i know their company is a little bit unethical
8. it's the best mat i've ever used
9. it has revolutionized my practice
10. the last time i called something a practice, i was talking about piano
11. even though i used to be unable to imagine a day without running, i don't miss it. at all.
12. i especially don't miss it now that it is 12 degrees outside.
13. i do miss my short, short hair though. every day.
14. for some reason, every haircut i get turns into a mullet 4 weeks later.
15. i think i'm almost too old to do the pigtail-bad-hairday trick
16. even though i'm 32, i got the worst zit of my life a month ago.
17. seriously. it was like a huge red cyst. and it never popped.
18. now i just have this ugly scar on my chin.
19. i got it the second week at my new job.
20. so i felt like "that" girl for awhile.
21. the one everyone looks at and feels sorry for because of some huge flaw.
22. i love my new job.
23. even though i know it's ridiculous, i'm a little bit afraid for december 21 2012
24. or is it the 12th?
25. see, that's what popular culture will do to you.
26. and movies
27. and an over-active imagination
28. and not enough faith
29. i think tomorrow at hot yoga, i will try to sweat out that stupid fear.
Sunday, January 01, 2012
but then, those of us in colder climates, are faced with three months more of cold. dark. dead branches. brown grass. and snow and ice and skin-burning wind chills. no gifts. no giving. no twinkle lights.
but why not? maybe i'll make 2012 the year that i do more during winter. love more. celebrate more. give more. enjoy more.
yeah, that sounds good.