they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

this happened to me today at lunch.

Scene: An uncharacteristically uncrowded Mr. Goodcents in Midtown.
Characters: Me, played by me.
Guy Behind Counter (GBC)
Other Guy Behind Counter (OGBC)

Time: About 12:30

After finding a prime parking spot, I enter Mr. Goodcents and approach the counter to order.

GBC: Half Turkey?
Me: Why yes, with
GBC: Swiss Cheese?
Me: No, I’d prefer cheddar please.
GBC: We have a rule here. No cheddar on turkey.
Me: No you don’t, I used to work here.
GBC: Okay, you’re right.
OGBC: What is he saying to you? Is he hitting on you?
Me: blank stare
GBC: I never hit on beautiful women.

And it goes on….

OGBC: What would you like on this?-
Me: Extra tomatoes
OGBC: So, no tomatoes?
Me: No, a lot please. (this is followed by OGBC putting one tomato in the middle of my sandwich)
Me: Um, a lot of tomatoes please. More than that.
OGBC: What else?
Me: A little mayonnaise, salt, pepper and oregano.

Okay, give me a break!!! And I have to go back there tomorrow.
And yes, I used to work at Mr. Goodcents. Once when I was 17 in the summer after my Dad said to me, "Find a job today, or you get no more money from me this summer." It was between that and Fluffy Fresh Donuts.
And then again in college. Nick and I both worked there one summer. And I must say, the free lunches weren't a bad deal.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He was totally hitting on you. That is too funny. Slightly annoying, but funny nonetheless.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    The Goodcents in the Village is a problem place for me. They actually get huffy if I walk in there on a Friday night at 8 p.m. THEY DON'T CLOSE UNTIL 9!! One Friday, in fact, the boyfriend and I headed over there after he got off work, and they had already put up chairs and mopped the floor (which makes it SUPER slick, of course...), and this one kid saw us coming and turned off the "Open" sign in the window. It was only 8:30! I walked in the door and said, "What's the deal guys? You changing your hours to be more like Saturdays?" (They close at 8 p.m. on Saturdays there, which is ridiculous, but don't get me started...) The manager kid looked at the sign and asked who turned it off, and the kid that had done so went over and flipped the switch again...

    Obnoxious. They're also very stingy with their tomatoes, for some reason. I don't get it...don't offer it as a free condiment if you're gonna be stingy about it, right? Sheesh!

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger cmccown said…

    This fluffy fresh donut place...tell me more.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    chase, move to KC and i can guarentee you a job there. but i don't think you'd like the early hours and the way you would always smell like donuts :)

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am SO attracted to people working at sandwich places. i just LOVE the smell of turkey and ham and roast beef. i REALLY wish those guys were hitting on ME.

    i am surprised working at goodcents didn't make you grossed out by going there, or at least sick of eating it. i worked at a potbelly in college and i have only been there once since then. gross.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home