they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

perfect.

today i turned 30.

yesterday, i was still 29. and B refuses to combine birthdays with things like engagements, so he chose yesterday.

we went to justus drugstore. we ordered two appetizers. pig heart saute and the amazing fennel wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with fig reduction and wrapped in lettuce leaves. we'd had a glass of wine. he was acting strange and nervous. and then he said, "hey, want to look at something i got you?" so i opened the bag he brought.

inside there was a little notebook filled with 30 reasons why he loves me. each on its own page. i cried and laughed my way through it. under that, the bag held a large box of christopher elbow chocolates.

i said thank you. he asked if i needed a Kleenex. i said no. he said, "well, you might now."

he stood up, stuck his hand in his pocket, came over to my side of the table, touched my shoulder said, "Jessi, you're my best friend and I'm really sorry this has taken so long but..." he was down on one knee "will you marry me?" i nodded, put the ring on, cried, hugged him and realized the ENTIRE restaurant was watching, clapping, cheering. B yelled, "she said yes!"

it was perfect.

the chef sent out two glasses of champagne. the couple next to us bought us a drink.

and that doesn't even begin to explain the thoughtfulness of this man, my fiance, who has gone above and beyond to make my 30th special. he arranged a manicure for this morning, so my hands would look extra pretty when i show people the ring tonight at my party. he took me shopping. he got me this print (from city hall) of our house in 1940. it's amazing. and it goes on with flowers and a 3-mile walk, in the cold mist of the morning, when he would have, perhaps, rather been sleeping.

i am so happy that i get to keep him.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Kelley said…

    I'm so stinkin' happy for you.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger thedirtyknitter said…

    congrats jessi - so happy for you guys!

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    I'm just catching up on this...

    CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you, sista! :hugs:

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger May said…

    Congratulations!!! :)

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh that made me cry-that is sooo sweet - congratulations!
    -erica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home