they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

self portrait tuesday

That is me finishing the half marathon last September. That is me at my best - so far. That is the woman I know I can be and the one I try to beat every day when I'm running or working or just plain living. A year ago today, I had never run in a road race. I hadn't really run much farther than 7 miles, which is a distance I ran once in high school. I started last March with a 3-mile run that nearly killed me. By that September, I ran 13. My goal is to run a full marathon, 26 miles, in October.

The woman I was three years ago could never have attempted anything like this. Because of fear and anxiety and a very unsure sense of self. The woman I am today thrives on this.

This is my last post on running this week. I promise.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:37 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    Jessi, I'm posting this pic and linking to your blog because it's awesome and you are amazing!!! If you'd rather not have it up please e-mail me and I'll take down the pic ASAP (afteroon probably). However, I can't see how you wouldn't be proud of something this cool. Congrats on your run, I can only manage a brief scamper to avoid the cops or if the pizza dude is at the door.

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    That's fine, Tony. And thanks for the props, too.

    -Jessi

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger cmccown said…

    Getcha some, Jessi. I've started forcing myself to run daily, and I see the benefit.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    Jessi, congrats on all that you have accomplished! Keep on keepin' on! I'll think of you on April 2 when I run my first road race--an 8K that I know I can run without a problem, and I hope it's the first of many. You're such a great inspiration! Post about running as much as you want :)

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Yay! I'm glad you did Self Portrait Tuesday again. Isn't it fun? Keep it up!

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    Sarah,
    I learned about it at your site. Thanks for that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home