they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

my off-season training.

winter is my "off-season" when it comes to training for a race. i typically pick a goal-race that takes place in the early fall, and then dedicate spring and summer to getting faster, going farther and being stronger.

but winter is when i remind my body that i care about it. that i can give it a break from the constant pavement pounding, sweating and calorie burning. winter is when i cut back on total mileage and long runs. it's the season when i purposefully introduce walking into my workout routine. and it's when i force myself to remember that slower is sometimes better, that walking 1 mile burns as many calories as running 1 mile and that, sometimes, slowing down is the only way to really notice the world around me.

my winter weeks look like this:

4 days a week running a distance of either 3, 4 of 5 miles.
1 day a week walking 3 miles at a good pace.
1 day a week strength training at an hour-long boot camp class
1 day a week complete rest.

but winter is nearly over. and boy am i looking forward to spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home