they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Monday, December 11, 2006

an expensive hobby

i thought i was ready to face winter head-on. i mean, i had the running tights, and a heat-conducting, moisture-wicking, base layer. i had a north face hat and sweet-action underarmor running gloves. and mostly, i had a plethora of fleece jackets from which to choose. i was SO ready, i thought.

only, i wasn't.

i set off for a run friday afternoon and realized after about one mile that my fleece jacket was just absorbing my sweat and sticking to my hot pink base layer. it wasn't comfortable. and then, when i got home and took my hat off, my hair was covered in sweat and so was my hat. it didn't smell like roses either. but i didn't think that would be a problem. "i'll just wash it," i thought. only, to my dismay, the tag read, "dry clean only." great.

before i could head out for another winter run, i wanted a waterproof, wind-proof outerlayer. i wanted it to be moisture wicking and thermal. and if it had some nice reflective piping, i wasn't going to complain. so, i bought this. it's a nike sphere pro. and i am in love. i ran in it saturday morning and it kept me nice and warm while cool and dry - all at the same time. plus, i look like a biker chick when i wear it. i'm not sure if that's good or not, but at least i appear hardcore in one way or another.
so, i got the jacket, but that's not all i needed.


i also needed a new hat. one that was meant for running and sweat and washing machines. one that would help keep my head cool and comfortable while at the same time dry and warm. none other than this hot pink underarmor hat would do. and, to top it all off, it matches my hot pink thermal and the armband for my Nano. i also secretly think it helps define the fact that beneath all of my layers and running tights, i am, indeed, a woman.


now i'm ready old man winter. i'm ready to face you and to beat you and to train through you and with you. so, bring it.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    It's funny to me to read this today because it is 64 degrees here right now. And, I punched up KC to see what's going on up there thinking it might be North Pole-ish weather there, but you're sitting at 60 degrees right now, too!! I don't know about you, but this weather doesn't really invoke the "Christmas spirit" in me AT ALL. But, I am very excited that you now have the proper attire should it ever get cold again!!

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Yeah, I saw you out running on Saturday, and you definitely looked like a girl! The pink hat gave it away. (Kinda helped that I know who you are, too, though...)

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is totally hardcore. And by hardcore, I mean awesome.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Ally said…

    Found your blog and I love it. I just ran my very first 5K in Charlotte, NC this last weekend. It was 18 degrees at race start. Un.called. for.

    Coldness aside, I'm addicted. AND, I'll have to check out the hat you bought. Love the pink!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home