they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Friday, February 03, 2006

a stroke, at 26?

I've been in the hospital since Wednesday night. Tuesday evening during American Idol, the right side of my face went numb and heavy. I watched it for almost 24 hours and saw no change until my left arm started to feel hot needle sensations. I left work and went straight to the ER. I figured I'd go home that night. I didn't.

They admitted me at 9:00p.m. I had never stayed at a hospital at night. And Nick was in Indiana. I felt alone and emptly. I was also scared.

Due to my symptoms, they wanted to monitor me over night to be sure it didn't turn into a full-blown stroke. They hooked me up to a heart monitor and continued to check vital and neurological signs all night. I had an MRI and an MRA and a sonogram of my heart the next day. I figured they'd find nothing and I could go home. I didn't go home.

The nurse said that they saw what appeared to be a hole in my heart - a condition that can cause migraine headaches and strokes. They wanted me to stay another night and scheduled a TEE test for the next morning. I was told that if there was a hole, they would need to patch it by going in through a large artery in my groin.

The test consisted of a very sedated Jessi swallowing a garden hose with a camera attached to it. I don't remember much but I do know they didn't find a hole. And so, with no explaination to my symptoms and with no recommendations about how to avoid having this happen again or if I should or should not go skiing next week or if I should worry or if it really was a stroke, they sent me home.

So, here I sit. Face still partially numb, very confused and kind of unsettled. But I am glad to be home and I am glad that I have such good husband and friends and a family that took care of me when I wasn't at home.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Om my goodness, I am so sorry you had to go thru all that (especially when Nick was gone). Are you doing better, though? Let me know if there is naythign I can do.

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Joe Miller said…

    My God! How awful. They couldn't tell you what it was?

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    They are still waiting on blood work results.But my face is still numb, and they didn't tell me when it will go away. They also said I had "likely" had a small stroke, but they couldn't prove it. It was a very comforting process as I'm sure you can tell....

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Kat said…

    My thoughts and prayers are with you right now! I hope everything turns out okay...

     
  • At 3:29 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    Get well soon. Keep us posted. Take care.

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Our thoughts are with you.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    Jessi, I'm so sorry to hear about your hospital stay! I hope you're feeling better now, and I hope that they find out what was wrong before it happens again. I'll be thinking about ya!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That happened to my husband! It turned out ot be Bell's Palsy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home