they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

i'm going blind

okay, not really. but my vision gets worse every year. this year, the eye doctor moved me up to +4.00 in one eye and +3.75 in the other. she was like "yeah, so your vision is just going to keep getting worse as you age so..."
and i was like "um, so am i going to go blind or will i ever be legally blind?" and she goes "no, becuase in order to be legally blind, you have to have vision that can't be corrected."

so i guess i won't be legally blind with contacts in, but what about without? her words didn't make me feel better. instead, i felt old and decrepit.

to top the good news off, mrs. eye doctor proclaimed the need to dialate my eyes. yes! so, because my glasses are not strong enough to correct my vision anymore, i had to look for new frames while my pupils were enlarging. but it wasn't easy to find cute, fun frames while i could hardly see. i basically had to rely on the opinion of the office staff, the funny lady that was also trying on frames and the sidways glances from a handsome stranger. i settled on a pair that one lady proclaimed looked great on me and matched my hair. a good enough reason for me to buy anything. in 7 to 10 business days, i'll be able to try on the new frames complete with stronger lenses and anti-reflective coating. i hope they look okay.

for now, i'm getting used to my new super-strong contacts. fun times. fun times.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Tara said…

    Try having a prescription of -6.00 in one and -5.50 in the other! Some people are more blind than you, I can assure you of that!!

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You get no sympathy from me - I'm -7.25 in both eyes!

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    See Jessi, isn't there ALWAYS someone around to make you feel like every life situation could be much worse? :) Lizzie is the one that made me feel that way today.

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my eye doctor (who i imagine may be the same person) told me that i need to rub my eyes with a warm rag when i awake, because apparently they don't produce the right chemical levels in my tears. or basically... i don't really have tears. my natural tears kinda just burn and itch. so i have special eye drops but you can't use them with contacts. and i wear contacts. but this can be bad and deteriorate your eye tissue... so i'm a little worried, plus i'm just really sick of my eyes burning ALL THE TIME.

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    you all made me feel so much better!!!

    louie, the same person really? who is yours?

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Kat said…

    Have you tried hard contacts? I know everyone uses the soft disposal contacts now, but when I had to wear contacts the doctor made me wear hard lenses. He said they kept my eyes from changing so dramatically year-to-year. (A prerequisite for corrective eye surgery, as it turns out.)

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    You might want to stop doing whatever it is you're doing that is making you go blind (not that there's anything wrong with that). 8->

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jill Draper said…

    I turn 50 tomorrow. Tell me that I still have some reason to go on! I'm blind and nuttier than acorn coffee, oakie, you might say.

    You are too funny, sweetie. xo xo xo
    J

     

Post a Comment

<< Home