they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Explain me this.

Fantasy football is just that — a fantasy. And, I guess it’s fun and a male bonding experience and probably a better fantasy to have than something else, so I’m okay with it. I think. It doesn’t take very much time after the draft (yes, there is a fantasy draft) and really, it’s harmless.

Okay, that being said, online Playstation leagues are something else entirely, and I’m not sure I like them. Last night, Nick had a “game” at 8 p.m. It was his first league game of the “season” and he was scheduled to play with some random guy in some random city and he was pumped. At 8:40, they were in the third quarter and Nick was winning. But then, the unimaginable happened — our Internet service went down. “I still have the rest of the fourth quarter left to play and now I can’t even get in touch with the guy I was playing on Instant Messenger to let him know what happened,” Nick whined. (Well, he didn’t really whine, but I added it for emphasis).

Anyway, after much pacing by Nick and some guilty internal gloating from me, the Internet started working again and Nick was back at it. Only when I approached him this time to say goodnight, he snapped at me. I was like, “What, you’re not being very nice.” (I may have called him a jerk, but since I don’t really remember it exactly, why deliver half-truths?) And he was like “Just don’t talk to me, I’m losing right now.” And that’s when I decided that I abhor the Playstation and the online Playstation football league. If the Playstation didn’t also serve as our DVD player, I might be so inclined to accidentally step on it or to throw it away or to tell Gussy it’s his new toy — after unplugging it of course.

So I was thinking about what women do that can be compared to an online Playstation league, and I couldn’t come up with anything. We just don’t do that type of thing generally. I’m sure there are some women who love the Playstation, but I don’t know any and this is my blog and can be biased, so in my opinion, it’s a guy thing and I guess it’s just something I will never understand. And therefore, I will probably never like it.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    A certain friend of mine said that while borderline alcoholism threatened his future in college, he thought for sure that Fantasy Sports would do him in for good. I don't get it either. Maybe it's just one of the great mysteries in life.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    Good point. But, I know some men who shop like that, too.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a guy and I don't understand the whole Football fantasy crap...anything with the word fantasy in it does not include a bunch of guys for me, it does have to have at least 2 women...:-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home