they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The blessings of being a woman

Sometimes, being a woman is so not worth it. Like last night, when I was up until 3 a.m. writhing in pain from, you guessed it, my “time of the month.” I finally got to sleep after the heating pad had been on so long my stomach was permanently red and then, 30 minutes later, I woke up to Gus (the dog) retching on the bed. When he does this, he’s about to puke. Great.

So, I threw off the heating pad, threw Gus off the bed and ran to get a paper towel to catch the vomit. After he got it all out of his system, I gave him his anti-nausea medicine and took him back to bed with me. Being the woman that I am, my mothering instincts took over and so I let him snuggle in between my shoulder and my head. He rested his head on my neck, and I pet him and made sure he was okay until, uh, maybe 5 a.m. With every move he made, I was also afraid he was going to throw up again all over me, so I hardly slept a wink. And then, poof, it was time to go into work, which wasn’t going to be happening for me. So, I slept in until 7:30 and took half the day off.

I called my boss to tell him I had been sick all night and when he asked, “with what?” I said my stomach had been upset. He seemed to care on the phone, told me to get some rest and to come in later if I felt up to it. But, when I did come in later, my co-worker told me that the boss had rolled his eyes at her when he told her I was out with a “stomach ache.” She knew why I was gone and told him she wasn’t surprised and that I hadn’t been feeling well the afternoon before. But really, should I have told him that I had major cramps that felt like a fist was in my stomach, twisting my organs, squeezing the life out of them, or should I have kept it simple like I did. I mean, how much information is too much information. Plus, they are my paid days off.

I also don’t like having to wear makeup and fix my hair and having to be tan and dressed in matching outfits with pretty shoes. But, I do admit that sometimes, I like matching my jewelry and finding just the right shade of toenail polish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home