they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

i'm officially an idiot: part 2.

the scene: petco over the lunch hour. crowded as all hell. only one cashier.

i'm standing in line grasping a huge bag of dog food, a pet hair lint brush and a box of dog treats behind four people.

when it's finally my turn, the cashier asks me if i have a petco card. i said, "i don't know." because, i really don't know. the woman behind me let me use hers. i saved $7.50.

then came time to pay. i had him break a $100. he owed me 59.52 in change but had no ones or tens. and so, i said, "i'll just give you eight cents and then you'll owe me $60."

he goes, "are you sure?"

and i was like, "YES 52 plus 8 is 60. so you owe me sixty dollar."

see, sometimes, i forget that there are 100 pennies in a dollar and not 60. i mean, never in REAL life do i forget. only in high-pressure situations where i'm trying to do math in my head and i confuse dollars with minutes. i mean, there are 60 minutes in a complete hour.

anyway, eventually the cashier believes me. i hand him 8 cents and he hands me $60. and as i walk out of the store, i realize my mistake. and am mortified. (there was a long line behind me, too.)

6 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Hahahahahahaha! You sooo owe them $.50.

    Hahahahahaahahhahaahaha!

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see an arrest at work probably during a meeting... cuffs, frisking, bad language, holding up the security cam photo to make sure they got their girl.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Honestly, until you said "see, sometimes, i forget that there are 100 pennies in a dollar and not 60," I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

    Apparently, I have the same minutes/dollars problem as you.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well..... you were operating in minutes or seconds. 60=1 under that unit equation. Oh I see Sarah has also recognized this. (I do it sometimes, too!)

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is like one of those old Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, where Bugs Meany has some flimsy alibi for some dastardly crime.

    Your crime: shopping at a Petco instead of a PetSmart.

    The 60 pennies to a dollar thing is a total red herring.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i too confuse dollars/minutes in high pressure situations!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home