they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

an every day sort of thing.

i went back to hot yoga yesterday. it was miserable. 108 degrees. i know because i was practicing my postures next to the thermostat. it may as well have been 200 degrees because i was sweating more than anyone in the room. this is not an exaggeration. i was so sweaty that i had to wrap a towel around my knee in order to grip it. i didn't know my knees could sweat. and anyway, there i was - a sweaty, wobbly mess. for 90 minutes. staring at myself in the mirror. trying to find my center. which, in my world, just means i was trying like hell to balance on one foot.

see, i'm a klutz. today. yesterday. when i was three. and when i'm 50. i was, am and always will be accident-prone. and i'm okay with that. because i typically choose activities that won't expose my awkwardness. i learned the hard way (the fifth grade basketball experiment.) but i learned. and that's why running is so easy. i just put on shoes and move. in a straight line. it takes no coordination. no bouncing or balancing or classrooms full of students who are better at it than i am.

i went to a step aerobics class once. i tripped over the step. years earlier, i had a failed childhood ballet attempt. and when i was 12, my mom made me take a tumbling class, with the two-year-olds, just to learn to do a cartwheel.

i have an aversion to classes that involve any type of coordinated movements. i don't like sweating in front of people. and i hate the heat.

so why, dear reader, do i continue to torture myself with this fart-inducing, sweat-creating, hot yoga?

because it feels good.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Author said…

    haha. i feel your pain. i avoid skiing, skating of any kind, skateboarding (pretty much anything where I end up doing the splits without wanting to) - also bikes, I wrecked a stationary bike one time, I'm clumsy on treadmills, and I absolutely hate ICE! I wipe out on that shit all the time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home