they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Monday, October 22, 2007

another installment about me having issues.

i'm a runner. it's what i do. that means you can find me five days a week on a treadmill or on the roads, pounding out the miles. and if my body feels like it needs to rest, i give it the elliptical and a strength-training session. i take at least one day off a week. but that's about it. and it's starting to get hard to keep up with the fit lifestyle i've established. like today. i'm exhausted from moving my friend all weekend. and i feel like i'm getting sick. a normal person would just forgo their workout without a second thought. i mean, last week i ran 20 miles. it ended with a four-mile run on friday.saturday i was a moving mofo and worked for 15 hours straight. and then sunday i moved a few things and collapsed on the couch for the day. that brings me to now. i'm sitting here at home, in my sweats. not wanting to workout. not wanting to even think about running. but why can't i just be okay with not going? it's like my mind keeps saying, "if you miss a day of running, you'll go up three pants sizes and will never forgive yourself." i mean, come on. i hate it.

anyway, anyone else feel my pain? and if so, how do you deal?

3 Comments:

  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger "The D" said…

    I'm a runner too. But not up to your level. It's too cold/wet to run outside. So to keep from going to the gym I wash my gym/clothes (even though I did it yesterday.) Which will take about 1.5 hours. Then it's to late/dark to hit the gym or hit the streets. That's what I do when I know I should be running but I don't want too.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Yes...I feel your pain. That's why I work out in the morning. :P

    But then again, I'm one of those "normal people" you mentioned. I'm sick this week...my body is in a baad place. Yesterday, I had a rockin' normal workout, but then by the time I got home, I was more exhausted than usual. Then The Day happened, and I got sicker and grosser feeling throughout it. I went to bed at 9 last night and made the conscious decision to sleep in and not workout this morning. My body needed rest, not the pain of the workout.

    Tomorrow is another day. And guess what? My pants still fit me today. (And they will tomorrow, too.) I don't know how you get past that feeling that you have about missing a day of running = being a big, fat lazy loser, but you've worked on it for this long...don't give up. Don't let your brain defeat all the hard work you've done through the years. I know it isn't easy...there are other people that know better than I do who might be better at giving advice on it, but I've known a few, and I know how hard it is to ever, EVER get past that evil part of your head that wants to put you down all the time.

    One day is not worth not forgiving yourself over. Hell, take a WEEK off. Get some perspective. Then get back to your normal schedule, and feel all the better for it...

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I try to keep up my running as well. I find that to maintain sanity you have to allow for some recovery and days off when you don't feel well.

    That being said, sometimes when I feel crappy, the best thing for me is a run. Setting a goal (miles per week or whatever) and having the discipline to stick to it is sometimes the hardest part. But that is where the difference is made.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home