they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

really?


This is a photo of a sign in another town in another state. But there is one just like it on my way to work. I pass it every day. Hitting a worker is bad. Bad. But seriously, maybe it should say, "If you hit a worker." The way it reads is like a command, "Hit a worker." Maybe it's the copywriter in me coming to the surface, but this sign is just not working for me.
And also, I'd think that if one were driving on the highway at speeds close to (or above) 70 mph, and hit a worker, they'd actually kill a worker. Isn't that manslaughter? As far as I know, that's a heftier fine than $10,000 and a lost license. Anyway, I understand that the powers that be feel the need to warn drivers not to hit workers, but isn't that common sense?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    I've always felt the same way about those signs. Like the $10,000 fine and losing your license is actually a prize for Hitting a Worker. Makes me want to put an exclamation point at the end of it.

    Work zones have speed limits posted usually around the 45 - 55 MPH limit, I think, depending on the zone's distance from regular traffic. Sadly, people don't always follow those instructions, which is why the 2nd point you make about manslaughter and all is spot on. I saw a commercial about it on t.v. last night, even. Some guy (can't remember his name right now) was speaking on the side of the road, shooting a promo for safety of road-workers in which he asked people to please pay attention to the posted speed limits in those areas. A week later, he was killed while on the side of the road by a driver who didn't think it was necessary to slow down in the work zone. So sad...

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw that sign somewehere the other day and had the same thoughts. How about: "If you hit a worker: Years of guilt as you rot away in prison." Or maybe something that rhymes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home