they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

An open letter to the owner of the german shepherd that nearly took my life.

Dear Sir,

If your aggressive German Shepherd is not on a leash, please do not bother walking it. Because when it tries to attack me as I run by, you are too slow to respond. And I highly doubt that little red stick with a tennis ball on the end is really discipline enough for that dog that needs to be locked up, leashed up or let go. Don’t walk it down Nall — especially don’t walk it down the part with the narrow sidewalk, forcing me to run in the street toward oncoming traffic while my heart races because your dog is growling, barking and lurching at me. And then, when you yell at your dog to stop, and it does stop, don’t turn to me with a smile and a simple “I’m sorry.” Instead, grab a leash out of your pocket, put it on your dog and then say something about how stupid you are and how you never meant to walk your terrifying dog without a leash, and maybe how you were just so wrapped up in the beautiful day and the signs of summer approaching that you forgot to attach a leash to your dog’s collar. Then tell me how sorry you are, and maybe even offer to write me a check to pay me off for the emotional damage your dog caused. But don’t smile and laugh and say you’re sorry with a tone meant for a disciplining mother yelling at a child who clearly isn’t sorry. Don’t do that. And don’t walk your dog without a leash anymore.

Thanks,
Jessi

2 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Isn't that illegal? I thought we had leash laws. You should have put down a citizen's arrest on his butt, sista! (Or at least called the police, given a physical description of the man and the dog, and told them that you were threatened by the dog who was not on a leash and the owner had no way to control the dog except to call it off.

    You'd think that after the whole dog attack thing that happened in Independence a couple of weeks ago that people would be seriously careful about letting their dogs loose in public. I let my puppy run around loose yesterday in the front yard as I washed my car, and then we went over and played with the neighbor's two year old, but she's only 8 lbs of dog. And if she even made a move to bite the neighbor's beautiful daughter, I would grab her in an instant and stop it from happening in the first place. Dogs can be hard to read sometimes. Why aren't owners better at realizing that these days?

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you shouldn't have your dogs off of leashes for many reason. its more for the protection of the dog than the person. and usually when a shepherd growls and barks, its more of a show than actual intent to attack. if it were going to attack it would probalby have stood still and waited to see what you did. but yeah... that guy is obviously a moron. i wouldn't walk my dog down nall without a leash for fear it would get hit by a car.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home