they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Friday, January 07, 2011

small.

my new office has two windows. they both overlook the two loft buildings i've lived in downtown. and if i squint, i can pretend to see over the broadway bridge to vml, where i worked for 3 years. on the way to work, i pass the kansas city star and barkley. both places i've worked. both places i've loved.

and as i settle in to having an office with a door that i can shut. to being able to play music without needing headphones. to the new street and the new view and the new co-workers, i am struck, again, but how much of my life has centered around the same several-block radius.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    I had the same realization when I could look out the window of my office at Fleishman Hillard and see pretty much every place I'd worked in Kansas City except for the couple of years I freelanced from home when we were in Kansas. Have lived in this neighborhood for close to 30 years and driven the exact same route to work the whole time. I don't know if that's comforting, or just one giant rut.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home