they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

hey, hey you out there. you should hire me.

you know the song from fiddler on the roof called matchmaker? "matchmaker, matchmaker make me a match. find me a find, catch me a catch. night after night in the dark i'm alone, so find me a match of my own!"

i'm sorta singing it now - but to headhunters. i want a JOB. i'm coming upon three months of unemployment. three months. three. and you know how at the end of every summer break, you were ready to go back to school, learn some new things, see old friends. that's how i feel. i'm craving a cubicle. and projects. and clients. and managers. and getting paid. yes, getting a paycheck would be nice right about now. or in two weeks, whatever the pay schedule would be. i'm open. to lots of options. and to redefining myself a bit. and to a lower salary. and to a higher one. and honestly, i just want something to do every day. something i'm passionate about. something that is more stable than being unemployed (which, if we're being honest, is actually pretty stable right now given the fact that i've been doing it for three months.) but benefits would be super. amazing, really. benefits and coworkers. i'd like some of those. and really inspiring, inspired people. you know, the kind that make you want to do better, be better and create more? i'd like to be surrounded by a few of them. people who aren't stuck in a rut. who know that a good idea doesn't care where it comes from. people who don't give up when a brainstorm of concepts seems stail after 40 ideas. people who leave that room because it's maybe out of ideas and go to another room - or outside to a patio - and come up with a list of 40 more ideas. or 50. and somewhere in there, somewhere is a nugget. a spark. a piece of what will become the big idea. the one that their creative director will love and then so will account managment. the one that will grow and mature and become bigger than itself - almost. the one that will give the client confidence that yes, they made the right decision. the one that will have the best ROI, the best response from consumers and will win best of show next year at the Addys.

okay, so there's that.
i'm ready for you, if you're ready for me.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    Thank you for explaining how I feel. People are telling me to enjoy my unemployment. Ugh. Grass = always greener

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger sb said…

    I've been unemployed for a week now. I'm still not sure how I feel. I have been trying to change careers for some time and now seems like the perfect opportunity. But bills and rent still need to be paid. Some people think that being unemployed means freedom, but let me tell you even when you are fairly close to public transportation (I am in the New York City Metro area), freedom costs money. There were a ton of things I thought I would try my hand at to make money while trying to change careers but now I just can't bring myself to do any of them. I guess I have some issue to work through.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm takin' the summer off with unemployment benefits. Time with my family is more productive than trying to find a job in this market.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/careers/staff/job14-09.html

    Not sure if it is a fit or not.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous rumpelstiltskin said…

    Quit being silly. All you need is a direction to go. Don't you have interests? You write. You're an adman. Do you wish you could draw? Drawing is 5% talent, and 95% work. Just about everything is that way. What are the classes you wished you could take in school? Take them now. It doesn't cost anything- you can get classes from MIT online. You may need a library card. Study whatever you want. Study what you think will make you a better person, or study what you think will make you a better adman. You seem to have food, shelter, and love taken care of. It's all about making yourself better from there, whether someone is paying you or not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home