they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

my sister my hero.

i've always respected my little sister. more than i respect a lot of people. she's my best friend and my confidant. and now, she's a mom.

i was there to witness the transformation. i was there the second she became a mother. it was the same second tim became a father, i became an aunt and my mom took on a new name - grandma. i was there for the labor. and then post-epidural. for the napping and the excitement and the ice chips. and then i was there for the pushing. and the screaming. and cussing. and crying. and i saw the baby's head before anyone else did. and then, my little baby sister pushed hard enough that the head crowned. within seconds i could see the face - the face of my niece, half out of and half inside my sister's body. it was the most surreal, amazing thing i'd ever seen. i lost it then. the faucet of tears turned on a steady flow. i looked at my brother-in-law who was in a state of excited elation. he was crying, too. and my mom - wailing. the midwife turned the head slightly, and the baby opened it's eyes. and then, in an instant, little baby girl was out and laying on my sister's chest.

i will never forget what it felt like to be there. i am so completely honored that i got to watch my sister, my best friend, deliver her first child. a healthy child that weighed in at 6 pounds 9.5 ounces. the most beautiful baby i've ever seen.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Oh man, I never cry. Movies, weddings, intense pain, I never shed a tear. But just reading this post, you got me all teary-eyed. And I'm at work, which is super embarrassing.

    Congrats on becoming an aunt! it's the greatest thing ever. seriously.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jessi - I was able to witness the birth of my nephew - my only sister's first child. What a truly amazing experience. Words cannot possibly describe it. I, myself, had been through my first childbirth experience when I had my son 6 months earlier, but it was amazing to see it all in front of you (not actually participating in it!). I am glad you got to be there - for your sister, and for yourself! ~Tara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home