they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

the battle of the floodlights and other harrowing tales.

We have a 500 watt floodlight in the backyard. At night, you could find a dropped earring in the blades of grass. It’s that bright. And I love it.

I also love to leave it on until morning. Because it makes me feel safer. And I like to look out every once in a while and make sure things look in order. You know, the tree is still there, the grass is still there and the bunny rabbits are still there.

Okay, so after about a month of leaving it on, I noticed an annoying glare coming into our bedroom window. Nick came in just as I had noticed it and said “Honey, I think they have that light on because of us.”

You see, our neighbors behind us apparently have the same sort of floodlight. And they had it turned on. At 11 p.m. And they didn’t turn it off all night.

We turned ours off though. We got the point. We felt badly. And the next night, both backyards were dark again. I guess they won the battle of the floodlights. Too bad we don’t even know their names.

Just about the same time as the floodlight episode, Gus started puking again. Twice a day. All his food. There on the floor. It’s a beautiful thing. So beautiful that I have to look away and have Nick clean it up. I decided it was the dog food’s fault, so I spent 30 minutes preparing Gus his “sick doggy” meal. It’s basically cooked ground beef, white rice and cottage cheese all mixed up into a nasty dog casserole. He also got to drink Gatorade. He was in doggy heaven. He loved being fed food that was in one of my “people pots,” he loved eating food normally eaten by “humans” and basically, he probably loved not throwing it up. After two days of nonsense, I threw the dog stroganoff away, and gave him his regular food again. Last night, he threw it up. I wonder if he did it on purpose.

He also ran in from pooping yesterday and I noticed some leftover residue on his cute little behind. So, I grabbed a paper towel to get at it and it wouldn’t come off. It was stringy and stuck. And I fear it was a tape worm. So, I pulled it out and threw it away and I asked myself how I am so okay pulling nastiness out of my dog’s butt, but how I can’t stand to even be near his puke? It’s a mystery even to me.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Ok, the neighbors retaliating with their floodlight? That's just silly. I leave mine on all the time (it doesn't come on with the flip of a switch...have to plug it in in the garage, which is a pain and I forget to unplug it more often than not, and so I just leave it on 24/7 now), as it's a safety thing. I leave my front porch light on, too. It's something the police as well as alarm companies suggest that people do so they can deter burglars from wanting to break into houses. I know that burglars that really want to break into my home could just try a window, but they'd be hard pressed to get in through one, since they're quite burglar-proof.

    Perhaps you could try changing the angle of your floodlight a bit, so you don't bother the neighbors as much, and you still have the safety of the light being on at night? I dunno. If I had a bothersome light shining in my window, I'd just find some darker/thicker curtains for that particular window and keep them closed while I slept...perhaps you could try that if they start to "retaliate" again? Your safety should come first...

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha...same thing happened w/ my pug buddha. come to find out - he's been allergic to eggs, white potato and chicken his whole life...guess what's been in the food he's been on all of his 7 yrs. YES. eggs, white potato and chicken. had allergy testing b/c he kept puking up his food now and again. it was lovely - now he gets allergy shots just like humans AND gets the vegetarian dogfood from three dog bakery. the other two pugs aren't so lucky - they still get science diet...but then again - they're not puking it up. i think i deal w/ the puke AND the poo equally well. although my husband has to give buddha his shots. no way. no how.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    yes, perhaps i will just change the angle. good suggestion, faith!!

    gus was allergic to his old food. he's now on a RX diet. so i HOPE he's not allergic to it, too. we've done everything from barium test to (you name it) to figure out what is wrong..poor gussy.

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    those high maintenance puggys....but oh i love them so! good luck!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I apologize in advance for calling this to your attention, but it appears that in the photo prior to this entry Gus may be transferring a tapeworm from his behind directly into your ear.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    it does appear that way, doesn't it? no wonder my hearing is a bit "off" today.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home