they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

stool sample, stool sample!!


I just talked to the vet about Gus’ poop problems. There are two things that could cause Gus to have difficulty “pinching off” a clean poo. The first would be if he was consuming a lot of grass. Apparently, a blade of grass can get stuck, allowing some residue to hang on for dear life. He does eat more grass than a cow, but I think I’m going to go with the option behind door number two — my Gussy could have a parasite. This is typically the case if the poo is runny, which it is. So, my next mission that will suck, but will probably make me stronger is to collect a sample, put it in a zip lock bag, put the zip lock bag in a paper sack, get in my car with the poo, roll down the windows and head off to the vet where it will be analyzed. Gus spends most of his time outside hunting for piles of rabbit crap. I was initially trepidacious of his new hobby, but a friend’s little dog does the same thing. So, I figured it was normal. It may be, but rabbit poop also carries parasites. Lovely.

(thanks to my old friend louie for the pic)

7 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    finding poo is what dogs do best. its basically equivalent to us checking our email impulsively. and btw apparently in the wild, wolf cubs sometimes eat poo from their parents, because it offers a small amount of nutritional value (ewwwwww).

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    I had to take a "stool sample" for one of our dogs to the vet one time. It was a positively hideous experience that I never wish to repeat. By the way, can they really call it a "stool" sample if dogs don't sit on a stool to do their business??

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you really think picking up dog poo and putting it in a cup is that gross? what the hell do you feed your dog anyway, tabasco?

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Kat said…

    My pugs inhale rabbit poop--apparently it's a doggie delicacy. So far, we've not had any problems. Then again, they also eat grass, but usually to settle their stomach, since it often causes vomiting.

    Could it be an issue with the anal sacs? If those get filled with a more grainy substance, it can cause bowel problems. That's why Cassie's had to be removed...

    Good luck to you and poor Gussie!

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude,
    I SO don't miss those stool sample collecting days.

    The picture CRACKED me up, j-dawg!

    Rach

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    My mom's dog LOVES bird poo. She rolls around on any speck of it she can find. I don't know how she feels about other animals' poo...
    Anytime I think about how dogs and cats live the great life, I remember that they lick their butts and eat poo. Then I decide that no matter how much things might suck sometimes, at least I don't eat poo.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ask your vet if you can get one of the cool little stool sample tubes before you need to take the sample in - kinda looks like a little medicine bottle thingy..it's plastic - you stick the end of it in the poo and then pull it out - put the cap on and go (no smelling of the poo sample while on the way to the vet)

    and yeah...my pugs eat rabbit poo all the time...and also have "sac" issues...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home