they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

defending organic.

i eat organic. at home. and out when i can.

i've come under some fire for this life change. but let me just say that, two years ago, i got migraine headaches often. sometimes three times a month. my back hurt all the time. my vision never seemed right. i felt "sick" a lot.

that august, i switched to an all-organic diet. and now, i might get one migraine every 6 months. i don't feel achy like i used to. i feel more energized. i need less caffeine. i just feel better. plain and simple.

i believe it's important to eat organic and/or natural meats, dairy grains and produce. this list shows produce pesticide content in order from the one with the highest level (peaches) to those with the lowest (onions.)

i encourage you to check it out. and maybe just make one simple change. start buying organic, pesticide free produce. i bet you'll be surprised how much better you feel.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger 1978 said…

    I have been organic for almost 2 years now. I noticed a change right away. Wild Oats is a great place to get a bunch of organic foods.

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Faith said…

    I don't understand why people hate on organic at all. First of all, it's your choice what to put into your body. Second of all...no, wait. There shouldn't HAVE TO BE a second of all!

    We eat organic when we can. Organic buffalo is a main choice, and although we'd like to do free-range chicken and stuff more often, sometimes we're just at the local Hen House, and it's easier to just grab what's there, ya know?

    I remember buying some apples at Whole Foods a while back...like a year or two ago...and when I was checking out, I asked the checker if they ever had non-organic produce to choose, as the organic stuff was so much more expensive. The person bagging my groceries decided to speak up, and said, "Oh, so you prefer your food with pesticides on it?"

    Um, bitch? Don't think I asked you anything, AND I really don't care, to be quite honest. I just replied, "It's not that...it's that I prefer to pay a reasonable price for my food." And it was tempting to not add a "DUH!" on the end of that statement.

    I've lived this long with the pesticides, and it hasn't effected me adversely yet. However, my body has started rejecting Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi (topic of my post for today...that has yet to be written...), so I've given that up, so I might be on my way to having to stick to organic from now on. We'll see.

    Don't let people give you shit about it. And if they do? Just try not to be high and mighty (or condescending...which I'm sure is so not your style!) about it like the person was when they bagged my apples all that time ago. I still remember them, and it still pisses me off that they thought it was appropriate to say something like that to me...

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger 1978 said…

    Yeah, I ended up on a few famous (scrapbookers) blog sites, so my client wanted me to start posting so people knew who i was. Its nuts!

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger 1978 said…

    I am looking into this week getting a dehydrator to make my own organic dried fruits, fish, etc. Most of the good organic mixes are pretty pricey, but you can get good fresh foods and make your own, for almost nothing. I will let you know how it goes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home