they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Friday, November 04, 2005

I've got this screaming headache.....


I knew I was getting a migraine yesterday at about 2:30. I was in the middle of typing an e-mail and then I got all confused and I couldn't read what I was writing and the bright lights began to appear. The technical term for this is called an "aura." Basically, the worst of the worst migraine sufferers get them at the beginning of an attack. I happen to be one of these lucky people. So, for about an hour once a month, I have spotted vision and glimmering shimmering dots in my line of sight. It's fun. As soon as this happens, I take one, two or three Celebrex. But Jessi, you say, three seems like a lot of pills to take. Maybe. But it's all because Bextra is off the market. That's what I used to take back in the day when I only needed one pill to take my pain away. If only I would have known how good I had it. So, about 20 minutes after the onset of the attack, I found myself curled into a ball on the couch in the lady's bathroom - not exactly my idea of a refuge. The lights were bright and the women kept coming in to use the bathroom and they were loud and had little regard for how sick I must have looked and so, about an hour later and after a cat nap or two, I returned to my cube to attempt to work. Except, when you can't see, it's pretty hard to be a writer and and editor and so, instead, I sat with my head in my hands until 4:30, which is when I decided I'd had enough and was going to go home. Driving was an adventure. My pounding headache made everything seem louder, brighter and faster than it really was and so, I was relieved to pull into my driveway in one piece. But then, I had to let crazy Gus out of his kennel. I tried to tell him that mommy had a migraine and couldn't play, but that wasn't enough to keep him from jumping on me, climbing on my head and chewing his Kong louder than I'd ever heard him chew it. Today, I write this with the remnant of my headache. If I bend over to pick anything up, my head throbs and pounds and my brain feels like it is going to explode. But, if I sit still, I can pretend to be okay. So, here's to pretending.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home