they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Just call me grace.

Yep, that's me, trying not to fall down a steep, muddy sloap in England. I'm the one with the walking stick and the sideways stance and the not-so-sure look on my face, which thankfully, you can't see in this picture. We were on the hike down from Rosberry Topping in North Yorkshire and I was a baby and I wore the wrong shoes and well, I might have cried a few times. But, I survived. And, had I not made the climb up, I wouldn't have seen the majestic view of most of northern England, straight to the sea. I wouldn't have seen the farmland and the villages and the how green the grass was everywhere, even in January. I would have missed all of it because I was unsure of myself. And no matter how badly I didn't want to make the climb down the wet rocks, I did it. It was, for one, New Years day and what better a way to spend it than conquering a fear? I learned a lot on the climb - about myself and my fears and my ability to not roll my ankle no matter how easily I think it may happen. I think that maybe that morning was the first step in me challenging myself for the year. I stepped right on out of my comfort zone and, I keep stepping. I only hope that the view from the top is always worth the climb back down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home