they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Choosing what to love

I was driving behind a car with the license plate "ILVCASH" today and I got really angry. I guess I just think there are so many other things in life to love before cash. Like people and God and books and flowers and really anything seems better right now to love than cold, hard cash. But what really irked me was that the driver of the black SUV that sported the cunning phrase would actually broadcast this love to the entire driving public. I can think of better things to put on a license plate and I can also think of the name I thought about calling him when I read his personalized love claim. But, I decided not to call him a name and not to assume awful things about his priorities and his life and his family. Instead, I felt sorry for him. Really sorry. Because I wondered if he realized that money is a temporary comfort. That there never seems to be enough no matter how much you have and that no matter how little you have, someone else has less. I wonder if the driver I saw loves cash more than people, more than the poverty stricken nations that could use some of his cash if he could bare to part with it. I wonder if his wife loves cash, too or if he even has a wife. And I wonder if he realizes that in the end, he can’t take his cash with him - no matter how much he loves it.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Grady Cakes said…

    I have ilvcash as my license plate... And cash is my sons name. You're so quick to judge As a godly person. Check yourself

     

Post a Comment

<< Home