they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

and my birthday week begins.

friday night my sister went into serious labor. three minute apart contractions. pain. horribly ugly hospital gown. fetal monitor. and massive hospital 'underwear' to catch anything that might have escaped as she was instructed to walk around for an hour to help coax her cervix into opening. the walking didn't work. at about 11 p.m., she went home. and when she woke in the morning, her labor had stopped. there is a chance, though, that my first niece could be born tomorrow - my birthday.

since the baby stayed inside a bit longer, my sister and brother-in-law were able to come to my first birthday dinner. the one with my dad. we had wine at my loft and then we had mongolian barbecue at the only place in town to have mongolian barbecue. you know the place. (important side note - um, my loft was PERFECT for entertaining and drinking wine.)

after dinner, i had a martini at vivace. have you been there? talk about a strange atmosphere. all of the men look like they stepped out of the godfather. italian-looking sport coat across the table from a woman in fringed leather. and then there was the lounge singer who was so bad, i thought it was a cd until he started walking around shoving the mic in people's faces. classy.

sunday i road-tripped to grain valley. i know, right? but hey, i'd never been there. and i was accompanying my favorite person. so, it worked out. and then i discovered the mall of all malls - independence center. it was like being on vacation. i hate malls. but if i need to go to one again, i'm going to go there. it was big and clean and it even had the buckle.

tomorrow is my actual birthday. i'm turning 28. shocking, i know. and as long as that baby stays in my sister a bit longer, i'm getting a massage and a birthday dinner. friday is my birthday dinner at my mom's and then saturday, i'm celebrating again. see, last year i didn't do a lot of celebrating. at all. and this year, i plan to do things differently. i have many blessings to be thankful for and i am surrounded by people who love me. and that's the best gift of all.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i would LOVE to get together!!!!! when works for you? pipsersmom@gmail.com

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger "The D" said…

    Tell your sister to put a cork in it until tomorrow. Then tell her to do jumping jacks all day Wednesday. We need another Scorpio in this world.

    I'll be out calibrating also on sat.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    Happy almost-birthday, dear! Have a fabulous week, no, year, of celebrations! Oh, and your apartment is SO awesome!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home