they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

why my feet have failed me

Is it ironic that when I was in full stride, sprinting the last half mile of the half marathon last september, the song lyrics "feet don't fail me now" were running through my mind? It might be. Check this out: total miles run in May - 96.5. Total miles projected for June - 0. Why? Stress fracture.

It's under my middle toe on my left foot. It hasn't been diagnosed exactly yet, but the doctor suspects it's a stress fracture, and has ordered the x-rays, MRIs and the like to prove it. I should know more later. Maybe I could just cut my toe off. Do I really need it? And then, maybe my determination would prompt a Lifetime Original movie about a runner so determined and stupid that she cut her toe off to be able to train for a marathon. Maybe.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    rob, rob, rob. always thinking about yourself.
    can't you see i'm hurting here?

    rob helped me with the idea about making a movie about me. we both agreed it would be on lifetime. i decided to consider amputating my toe.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Tara said…

    I might actually tune in to Lifetime if there were a movie about you on there! Otherwise, I feel obligated to steer clear of that station!!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    This is why I'm a walker. I'm a FAT walker, but a walker nonetheless.

    Hope it heals quickly, Jessi! Cutting it off sounds like a very good solution. But you'd need to come up with a better story for how you lost the toe besides a stress fracture being in the way with your desire to run...maybe a horrible puppy-chewing incident! (Hell, my dog almost eats my fingers off every time she gets near them these days, so losing a toe can't be all that far-fetched, right?)

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Joe Miller said…

    I got a stress fracture years ago while training for a marathon. Wound up having to move down to the half marathon division. Sucks. Running is the supreme exercize, but injuries are so common. I'm learning, though, that bicycling can fill in the gaps. In fact, I already knew that: For my first marathon I got shin splints real bad just as I was moving into the heavy training cycle. I wound up substituting long bike rides for the long runs and I wound up finishing the marathon a few weeks later.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    joe, i didn't know you ran marathons!
    i'm trying my hand at the bike riding. it just doesn't "seem" to be as good of a workout. plus, it trains different muscles. but, it does keep my endurance up.
    thanks for the encouragement.
    :)

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jeeze jesse, you're such a wimp. amputate it!!! what would lance armstrong do? :)

    or just take it easy for a while and read some good books.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home