they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, January 07, 2010

it's freezing. ( a photo essay )


it's freezing in kansas city. since christmas eve, we've had close to 15 inches of snow. none of it has melted. today, the windchill factor makes it feel like negative 15. these icicles have taken up permanent residence on our gutter.

this is the roof of our garage. i hope it can support that much weight. it's an old garage.

this is how i have to dress INISDE the house. we have old windows, people.

b and i worked from home today because the streets were almost impassable. this is how we work from home. hot tea. hat next to hand just in case. yes, there is a space heater on the floor.

the cat spends all his time hanging out by the hot air vents.

and poor kolby is shaking all day.

so to combat the cold, i turned on the oven and made banana bread.

and i've been eying the rum all day. a little hot apple cider with a shot of that is going to be on the menu tonight - along with huddling under blankets. so stay warm, kansas city. think beach thoughts. pretend the sunshine is actually melting the snow. you know, live in a delusional dream-state like i am until spring.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger May said…

    Poor Kolby :(

    I have been spending the evenings under a blanket myself.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Tony said…

    Awesome pics. I liked the hat!!!

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Waldo Willa said…

    you are read...and enjoyed!!

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Sarah St. said…

    Kolby does look cold! He needs a sweater :) Puja looks smart. Anyway, this inspires me. I haven't done a photo essay since college. I may copy your idea. I'm also getting really bored just going to work and home. Too much work to go anywhere else on these blasted KC streets, so this would give me something fun and creative to do...

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger LMaree said…

    I enjoyed reading your blog today Jessi, made me laugh out loud! especially the pic of you and the one of Kolby!

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    thanks everyone! and first-time-commenter lana :)

    sarah, you should totally do it. it will kill some time at least :)

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Megan R said…

    You should get that poor puppy-dog a sweater!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Denita said…

    I am assuming you are not in agreement with me on wishing that the snow would continue to blanket KC through March...and then a huge heat wave hit...mid-70's please. The snow makes everything so much brighter...if it is going to be cold anyway, I want snow. I hate gray & brown winters...they are depressing.

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous LeRon said…

    I have been reading your blog for quite sometime (shout out to Tony's KC for the hook up) and I wanted to say that I am fan. Good luck on everything and I look forward to reading about your new life with B.

    As someone who used to live in KC, I do not miss that weather. Brrrr..

    windowshop78.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home