they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

so behind the times.

while listening to "you don't know me" on ben folds' myspace page for the 10th time today, i just realized that there is now the capability to scroll through his actual albums and change the playlist. how great. how needed. how yesterday, right?

speaking of being behind, every one i know (okay that's an exaggeration but still) like a million people got either engaged or married in the last three months. really. a million.

and here i am, going backwards. sort of.

i've been there. not anymore. i owned a house. now i rent. backwards. see?

and it's weird, you know? my friend B is busy planning her wedding. picking the dress. the photographer. the cake. and she just got engaged on christmas. and then a few people i used to be friends with, who weren't even engaged seven months ago, tied the knot over the holiday. see, people are excitedly approaching their happily ever after. in droves.

and i. well, i got fewer christmas cards in the mail this year than i ever have. i mean, a few years ago, when i lived in the yellow house...the one where gus lives...i got 50 cards. 50.

this year, i got six. and two of them were from work vendors.

it's like unless you are all tied up in happily ever after after after, people just don't think about you as a christmas card recipient. and when you start moving backwards in life, people sort of forget about you in a lot of instances. so you have to learn to fend for yourself. make your own life. become well-rounded. and anyway, it's not that i'm not experiencing happily ever. because i am. i guess i'll just have to wait for my after. and that's okay. but i don't think this in-between should disqualify me from christmas card lists.

but maybe that's just my opinion.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger "The D" said…

    Maybe they sent the cards but sent them to the yellow house with the Killer Bee infestaion?

    Besides look at it like this now you dont have to send out 50 cards next year.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Applecart T. said…

    how many cards did you send "then," and how many did you send this year?

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Ok, please tell me this is about something deeper than Christmas cards. Please. Because we get around 12 of them every year, and as far as I'm concerned, they are a waste of money and time. I know people are thinking about me around the holidays. Shoot, I just hope that's not the ONLY time of year they're thinking about me, you know?

    I don't need a Christmas card to remind me who my friends are. I KNOW who my friends are. And while it's lovely of them to take the time out of their lives to get the cards, print the pictures, blahblahblah, I just don't need to have another silly card sent to me with an updated picture of their kid or their dogs or what have you, with their quickly scribbled "Dear Faith and Leo...Love Dave, Lorie, and the munchkins" on it. I don't.

    And I hope that at some point, you won't either. Such a waste! Don't dwell on it...

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    As long as you are experiencing "happily ever", don't worry about the "after". More than 50% of the time it doesn't come, and the rest will have to work to make theirs happen while you are enjoying what you have. Good luck. Also here is my proposed Hallmark card: "Happiness is not in the number of Christmas cards.We lied to you before.Sorry."

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    yeah, faith. christmas cards are a metaphor. sort of. i mean, what i said about them is true. but it's just a slice of something much bigger. :)

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I feel like the opposite happened to me. When I got married, my single friends kind of backed off, like, "Oh, you're one of THEM now." As if I betrayed them somehow.

    I dunno. Maybe it's a regional thing.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Author said…

    Yeah...(sighs)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home