they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Friday, August 15, 2008

if cleanliness is next to godliness, the dmv is smack dab in the middle of hell.

i really believe everything that is wrong with the world begins at the dmv. it is full of misinformed, bitter people. it's not convenient. it smells, is fluorescently lit and probably has oodles of germs living on the chairs that are sat in for too long by disgruntled people. i avoid it like the plague, but my temporary plates expire tomorrow, so i had break my rule and pay it a visit.

i tried to do all this last friday, but learned i needed to ge my car inspected somewhere else (i'm used to the kansas laws.) so, monday i did that. and today, i headed to the dmv, paperwork in hand, at noon. i took a number and was surprised by how quickly i was called. i was changing my mind about the dmv. this place isn't so bad, i thought. until two seconds later when the cashier told me i needed to get a personal property tax waiver. from the courthouse. downtown. OMFG.

so i drive downtown, find a place to park and enter the courthouse where they confiscate my pepper spray and send me into a room with another line. once my name is called, i sit down infront of a man who is chewing a huge mouthful of his lunch. food still being chewed, hands yucky with bits of sandwich, he writes down on a piece of paper that i need to obtain a bank statement from january of 2006 and january of 2007 in order to prove residency. great.

so i drive to the bank - the most logical place to get a bank statement right? wrong. they can only go back six months, and have to ORDER ones from farther back. the'yre also $9 a pop and won't be in until tuesday.

joy.

so, very much frustrated and hungry i head to cosco because i need some stuff to take to my mom's for dinner tonight. thirty minutes later, i'm at the checkout where i learn my membership is expired and i need to renew. fun.

but back to the dmv. why do they make it all so incredibly difficult? i think they take pleasure in watching people like me squirm.

and please, dear police officers, don't pull me over tomorrow or the next day or the next day. i'm trying ito register my car. it's not my fault. it's missouri's

2 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    Ugh! I'd forgotten how difficult all that crap was back when I lived in MO. When I moved here from California, I lived in KC, MO. It was AWFUL. My dad was the owner of the car, and since he wasn't in state to be able to sign the car over to me IN PERSON, I thought I was never going to be allowed to register my freaking car! I finally found a nice person in that courthouse who helped me out when I started crying. I couldn't help it. It was one of the more stressful things I'd ever gone through at that point in my life.

    I don't know why they make it so damned hard, really...

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, it could be worse. CA DMV is laying off people, causing longer lines. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dmv8-2008aug08,0,6947776.story

     

Post a Comment

<< Home