they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

lines.

there are lines on my face
that didn’t used to be there
and my hair is sprinkled with
shining beacons of aging
that live between deep brunette strands –
until i pull them out.

and my nose and cheeks are blanketed
in freckles that used to stay hidden
until now -
this very moment of recognition.
or maybe
it’s just that i never really looked before.

quick glances in the mirror were easier
hair check
teeth check
lipstick check


but i’d always turn away
afraid to embrace
the years behind me
and the ones ahead
and the way that my body doesn’t quite look
the way
it used to.
but maybe just maybe
for the first time
i’m okay with my freckles
and the way that after a smile has faded,
you can still see hints of it
on my skin

1 Comments:

  • At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yippee! embrace your beauty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home