they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Talk about perspective...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167683,00.html

Today, I feel uncomfortable being comfortable. I have clean, dry clothes. I have a house that is still standing and is not full of contaminated flood waters. I still have my wedding pictures and childhood memories and my entire family is safe and I know where each person is and how they're doing. I have food and clean water and I have a car that I complain about because I think gas is too expensive and because the keyless entry broke. I'm not at risk for cholera or dehydration and I have access to all of the medical treatment I'll ever need. I didn't have to leave my house and my things and wade through waters filled with dead bodies. I didn't have to walk by houses marked with a red "X," a reminder for the National Guard to come back to them for body removal. I didn't see looters in those houses anyway, stealing whatever was left of the family that once lived there. I didn't see any of that. I didn't have to take my four day old baby through miles and miles of flooded streets to reach a highway overpass that offered me little more than a dry place to sit. I didn't spend the night in a crowded arena with thousands of strangers who were all dirty and depressed and trying hard to just survive. And I most certainly didn't just endure a tragedy that, as one gentleman heartwrenchinlgy stated, would rate higher than the death of a loved one. I didn't go through any of that. Instead, I just watched. Helpless. Confused. And for me, that's not enough. If it's not enough for you, either, please visit this link to learn how you can help.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167683,00.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home