they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Happy half birthday to me

Today is my half birthday. Pathetic that I realize this? Yes. But as with everything I celebrate, there is a reason.

I am now 25 and 1/2 but I still look like I'm 12. No joke. I get carded everywhere I go including Blockbuster. I tried renting a rated R movie with my husband and my best friend, ages 26 and 28 respectively, and the cashier carded me. This means that I don't even look 17.

Two years ago, I was covering a story at a grade school and being the diligent reporter that I am, had my reporter's notebook out and my pen ready. And still, the superintendent of the school had the nerve to ask me if I was an eighth grader. That means, I don't even look 14.

And just yesterday at work in the break room, this man was looking at me funny for a long time, which made me horribly uncomfortable. And then he said, "I just can't get over it, you look just like Dan's daughter. Have you met her yet?"

I haven't met her. But I hear she's 13, which means, I look to be somewhere between the ages of 12 and 13.

Hopefully I'll enjoy looking 13 and 1/2 years younger than I really am when I'm 40 or 50. But right now, I'd give anything for someone to guess me at 21. Because my driver's license picture is less than flattering and I am really sick of having to show it to people just to prove I can watch The Matrix or order a glass of wine.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home