they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Monday, January 04, 2010

10 months.

it has been 10 months since i lost my job. 10. that's almost a year for those of you who are counting. (i am.)

since then, i've had two temporary gigs. one at Sprint. and one at an actual ad agency. doing what i love to do. i've also landed a couple of independent freelance clients. one is a national not-for-profit. it gives me a few steady hours of work per week. and it's rewarding. but it's not 40 hours. there are no benefits. and anyway, it's been TEN months.

ten.

for now, i'm still at the ad agency. three days a week. for maybe a week or two more. and then, they want to continue to use me when they can. because they like me. they think i'm good. and, let me just tell you that after 10 months (if you're counting) being told you are GOOD at what you love to do feels like winning the lottery.

really.

and so i'm hanging my hat on that for now. some people. some creative directors. some colleagues...have told me i'm good.

so to them i say thank you.

and to the 1-year mark looming just around the corner i say - i hate you. because, see, i never saw this period in my life lasting that long. heck, i never saw this period in my life coming.

but it did. and i'm here. still. surviving. happy for the opportunities that have appeared since last march. and hopeful for the ones that are just around that next corner.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    I went to 11 months. It was shocking - I never thought it would go past summer, but I got my job in Novemeber.

    Keep going...

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Megs said…

    I too went 10 months. It's hell...and I feel your pain...
    :-/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home