they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I'm right here.


Boost Mobile is hitting the MTV generation hard with commercials featuring Eve and Fat Joe. And they are continuing to harm that genearation by refusing to use a verb in their catch phrase. Is that really what this world is coming to? Maybe it is, which is why the phrase "Where you at?" is probably working for them. But, to be brutally honest, it hurts my soul just a little bit. And I don't think I'll be buying a Boost Mobile phone anytime soon because, if I'm looking for Nick or Gus or anyone for that matter, I tend to phrase the questions like this: "Where are you?" I use the "being" verb "are" to form a complete sentence. So, Boost Mobile, to answer your question, I'm right here, but I'm not Eve or Fat Joe and I am a snotty journalist/writer and so, I use verbs and I turn my nose up at you.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger noapostrophe said…

    Jessi,
    As a fellow snotty journalist/writer, I do agree with you that not only is that phrase unappealing to grammar snobs like us, it also perpetuates the idea in African American culture that you're not authentic if you "speak white." That said, hip hop language has become a legitimate form of expression in the music scene, it appeals to people as being less formal and more friendly, and let's face it--a lot of people really do speak that way and can identify better with marketing like this. There was an interesting column in the Sunday edition of the Chicago Tribune by Dawn Turner Trice about language in African American culture that I recommend reading.

    By the way, I still love reading your blog, so keep it up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home