they pay to kiss your feet

since there's no one else around, we let our hair grow long and forget all we used to know. then our skin gets thicker from living out in the snow.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Since when is love a battlefield?

There are certain times when I run across song lyrics from the 80s and I think, yes, they had it so right. This is not one of those times.

As I was cruising up the eight or so levels of the parking garage at work yesterday to get to my coveted roof spot, I was listening to Pat Benatar sing "Love Is A Battlefield." As soon as the first chorus began, I had visions of running in place wearing a leotard, sweatband and legwarmers. Oh, and of course those really huge headphones with padded earpieces. So, in my head, I looked like an air traffic controller going to a Claire Huxtable-esque aerobics class (side note: possibly the best episode of The Cosby Show EVER.)

Anyway, the song really pumped me up and in my head, I thought “Hmm, if I ever get an IPod, maybe I’ll download this song so that when I’m approaching mile 5 or mile 13 and I’m tired and my legs feel like cement good old Pat can get me going again.” But then, I started to listen to the lyrics and I thought aloud, “Are you kidding me?”

Since when are there no promises and no demands with love? And I hate to disagree with Pat, but being “strong” does not mean that no one can tell you you’re wrong — that’s being stupid. Also, who would love someone who is constantly making them go and then making them stay. And, Pat, if you are the best thing this guy has ever had, he shouldn’t hurt you so bad. Point settled. And finally, images of you being trapped by someone’s love and chained to their side doesn’t exactly make me believe that you, Pat, think“There is no way this will die.” If you do really think that, you may need to seek counsel.

Here are the full lyrics. Enjoy
We are young, heartache to heartache we stand. No promises, no demands. Love is a battlefield. We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong. Searchin' our hearts for so long. All of us knowing, love is a battlefield.
You're makin' me go, then makin' me stay. Why do you hurt me so bad. It would help me to know, do I stand in your way or am I the best thing you've had. Believe me, believe me, I can't tell you why, but I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side.
When I'm losing control, will you turn me away or touch me deep inside? And if all this gets old, will it still feel the same? There's no way this will die. But if we get much closer, I could lose control. And if your heart surrenders you'll need me to hold.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a nice and great blog here! I'm going to bookmark this page!

    I have a webucation
    site/blog. It pretty much covers webucation related stuff.

    Come and check it out when and if you get time :-)

    Take advantage of our monthly special also.

    Best regards!

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was my all time Favorite episode too

    Phylicia and her real life sister Debbie Allen warring over croutons.

    CLASSIC

    think I'll go download it right now! : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home